Monday 29 July 2013

'Typewriter' Milk Paint - Architects Desk

This Architects Plans desk was donated to me as it was being thrown out! it was very well used, but I love the long narrow draws with the old brass labels, and knew I could really bring it back to life.  I left it in my conservatory for about three weeks, undecided what to do with it - should I paint it? should I leave it as it is?
I eventually had my moment of inspiration and made the decision to paint it, as it is quite a masculine piece of furniture I decided on Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint - 'Typewriter' which is a lovely soft black, I used the bonding Agent as I didn't want to have any chipping or distressing, I sanded the top and the draw pulls and simply oiled them with hemp oil.
This is a huge piece of furniture, and I was really pleased how it turned out, it sold at the Ardingly Antiques fair to a lady who is an artist, so I am really pleased that it will be used to store her pieces of art work.



Oh...and this is Alfie, he is our very lovable dog and was determined to be in this picture!
I will be posting my other Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint projects over the next few days.
Bye for now.
CJ

10 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! I love the black on it. Perfect choice. Would love you to come over and share it at my link party if you get a chance: http://www.findingsilverpennies.com/2013/07/silver-pennies-sunday-link-party-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. For years and years and years I wanted a plan chest, it would have been perfect for all the stuff I used to paint too.
    I love the makeover CJ, leaving the handles and top in wood and painting the rest is just perfect. And you didn't even have to put on the brassware. That artist is one lucky lady !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your great success at Ardingly, so deserved after all your hard work... it sounds like it was an amazing time, well done you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it so I pinned it!
    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this at Silver Pennies Sundays. I'm so happy you popped over. I love this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful piece! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty and unique piece! What did you think of the hemp oil?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out so beautiful! I love it! I'm so inspired :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found you at MMS and have to say that I think this is just stunning. I much prefer Milk Paint used with the bonding agent as not a huge fan of the out of control chippy look. you have done such a stylish job on this. have a lovely weekend
    cheers Fiona

    ReplyDelete