Sunday 4 September 2011

Coffee Table with a "Delicious" French Feel!

At last I have finished another piece of furniture! Laura (my daughter) hand painted this gorgeous vintage French sign onto the largest coffee table ever! what a centre piece this would make, alas too big for my living room so I will add it to my For Sale page.
This is a handmade antique pine table, which I have owned for many years. I sanded off the old wax and then Laura worked her magic on the top, copying a graphic from The Graphics Fairy. Once she had finished her bit I got to work and painted the bottom in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, Old White, I then distressed, and waxed with clear Briwax and  Dark Brown Briwax, to give it an aged rustic look.  I then slightly distressed the art work with fine sand paper and waxed the top using the dark brown Briwax, and...
Voila!

 This is what it looked like before...
I was in such a hurry to get started I forgot to take the "before" photo's, hence the top had already been sanded!
I have heaps of projects to do, will share some more very soon.
Bye for now...
CJ

2 comments:

  1. These pieces are really beautiful! Would you mind sharing which method you use to transfer? I have tried most ways with limited success, but yours are perfect! Thanks! New follower! ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your coffee tables! I am actually working on one right now, but I have never done the typography on top & have been wanting to for a long time. I bought an overhead projector to print some "graphics fairy" images to paint on top, & I'm SUPER excited about it! But I wondered what kind of paint your daughter uses when she does the typography? Acrylic or laytex? Just curious if that makes a difference. If you can, let me know, thanks!
    Steph
    stephcraven@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete